The Pearson BTEC Higher National Diploma in Business provides opportunities for learners to apply their knowledge and skills in the workplace. Students will have the opportunity to do this through any employment experience they may hold. This course is also available to mature learners who may wish to enter a specialist area of employment within Business.
This course aims to develop a sound understanding of the major theoretical and practical principles associated with working in business. A significant focus is placed on the skills required for effective communication, self-development and career progression.
If you are looking to pursue a career in the business or you are currently employed in a business environment and wish to combine work with a study to develop your skills and knowledge to enhance your career prospects then this course may be for you. It will draw on a range of industry links and local employers to provide you with extensive business experience.
You will typically have one of the following;
• A BTEC Level 3 or other Level 3 qualification in a related subject with at least one merit in the final grade profile
• A minimum of 2 A Levels with one in a related subject at grade C or above
• Access to HE with relevant options
• Extensive relevant work experience - mature learners who have extensive work experience and/or professional qualifications in a related industry are welcome to apply
If you do not hold GCSE maths and English at grade C (Grade 4-5) or above then it is strongly recommended that you study these before starting on a Higher National programme, both to support your study and to allow you to progress to university*.
On receipt of your application to study this course you will be invited to attend an admissions interview with a member of the teaching team to discuss the course and its requirements further.
You will study a total of fifteen units throughout the two years for the Pearson BTEC Level 5 HND in Business. Eight units in year 1 will equate to a HNC and the further seven units in year 2 will equate to a HND. The eight mandatory units will provide a general foundation and seven specialist units will introduce you to particular business concepts and theories in more depth.
HNC Mandatory Units:
* Unit 1 – Business and Business Environment
* Unit 2 – Marketing Essentials
* Unit 3 – Human Resource Management
* Unit 4 – Management and Operations
* Unit 5 – Management Accounting
* Unit 6 – Managing a Successful Business Project
HNC Optional Units*:
* Unit 7 - Business Law
* Unit 8 – Innovation and Commercialisation
* Unit 9 – Entrepeneurship and Small Business Management
* Unit 10 – Financial Accounting
*2 optional units to be studied from the above
HND Mandatory Units:
* Unit 11 – Research Project (Pearson-Set)
* Unit 12 – Organisational Behaviour
Assessment activities have been carefully designed alongside additional self-study/work-place study outside your taught sessions to make up a total of 21 hours per week on average
The HNC is for one academic year which can be followed by the HND for a further academic year. You will be expected to attend lectures at Macclesfield College for a minimum of 12 hours each week with additional work placements.
Follow up courses/Progression
You can apply to university to complete a degree in a related subject; entry to the degree may be at year 2 or year 3 dependent upon the university and degree programme.
Course information code: BUS-01-17