This is a vocational programme which will provide you with the knowledge and understanding essential to the animal industry and support you to progress onto further learning or the workplace.
For this course you will need to have achieved one of the following (subject to awarding body conditions):
• 4 GCSEs at grade 3 or above, including English or maths and science at grade 3 or higher
On receipt of your application to study this course you will be invited to attend an admissions interview with a member of the teaching team to discuss the course and its requirements further.
During this course you will study six mandatory units. As well as classroom delivery, you will also undertake placement in a real work environment with a requirement of 75 hours.
Mandatory units include:
1. Maintain Animal Health and Welfare
2. Undertake Practical Animal Feeding
3. Undertake work related experience in the land based sector
4. Understanding the basic principles of Animal Biology
5. Introduction to the Principles and Practices of Animal Beahviour and Handling
6. Contribute to the Nursing of Animals
Alongside your main programme of study, you will also study either GCSE or Functional Skill in English and Maths if you have not achieved a GCSE grade 4 or above.
All units are internally assessed using an externally set assignment. Each unit is graded Pass, Merit or Distinction and then an overall grade of Pass, Merit or Distinction is awarded on completion.
GCSE and Functional Skills qualifications are assessed through external examination and portfolio work.
On successful completion of this course you may wish:
To apply to study the Level 3 National Foundation Diploma in Animal Management
Alternatively, you could progress in the workplace in a variety of job roles, such as:
• Animal Care Assistant
• Pet Store Assistant
• Dog Walker or Kennel Assistant
• Animal Park Keeper or Farm Worker
Additional help and support is available to you should you require it and you can discuss this further at your admissions interview.
Next course available: September 4th, 2023
Days of week: TBA
Number of Weeks: 35
If you haven’t found the right course for you, then tell us about the course that you are looking for.