The Level 2 Extended Certificate in Engineering is a nationally recognised work-related qualification, which encompasses mechanical and electrical elements designed to give you a good start on your journey to a career in engineering.
The course is based around examined units and assignment led units that are based on realistic workplace situations, activities and demands. The course will introduce you to and prepare you for the world of work.
The course provides a good basis to progress onto a Level 3 qualification in Engineering. Alternatively, it can be used to assist you in applying for an apprenticeship in your desired discipline.
For this course you will need to have achieved one of the following:
• 4 GCSEs at grade 3 or above including English, Maths and Science
• Level 1 qualification in Engineering and a Level 1 Functional Skill in English and Maths
On receipt of your application to study this course you will be invited to attend an admissions interview with a member of the engineering teaching team to discuss the course and its requirements further.
The qualification consists of four mandatory and five optional units which provide the essential knowledge and practical skills to prepare learners for work within the engineering sector for example in a junior technician role.
• Unit 1, ‘The Engineered world’: learners will investigate the processes used to manufacture modern products within different engineering sectors. This is an externally assessed unit.
• Unit 2, ‘Investigating an Engineered Product’: learners will investigate a manufactured product to learn what considerations a designer would keep in mind when writing a technical specification.
• Unit 9, ‘Interpreting and using Engineering Information’: learners will learn how to interpret drawings and be able to use information in a controlled way. This is an externally assessed unit.
• Unit 10, ‘Mathematics for Engineering’: learners will use arithmetic, algebra, graphical methods, mensuration and trigonometry in engineering contexts.
In addition to the mandatory units the Level 2 Extended Certificate includes five optional units with a greater level of depth and specialism, so allowing learners to follow areas of specific interest or to link units to give greater depth of vocational understanding. The following five optional units are selected for the Level 2 Extended Certificate in Engineering to develop relevant engineering knowledge and skills required by the industry:
• Unit 03: Health and Safety in Engineering
• Unit 07: Machining Techniques
• Unit 08: Electronic Circuit Design and Construction
• Unit 11: Electrical and Mechanical Science for Engineering
• Unit 12: Engineering Design
Through these units learners will develop the knowledge and practical skills required for a number of roles in the engineering sector and apply them in employment-related contexts. They can also acquire a valuable range of transferable and work-related skills, including creative thinking, project and self-management and team working. Communication skills are also developed, together with broader skills in literacy, numeracy and ICT, for example, in mandatory unit 2 where learners are interpreting and using engineering information.
Alongside your main programme of study you will also study either GCSE or Functional Skills in English and Maths if you have not achieved a GCSE grade 3 or above.
During the course you will carry out a number of assignments and external examinations set by the awarding body.
GCSE and Functional Skills qualifications are assessed through external examination and portfolio work respectively.
On successful achievement of this course you may wish to apply to study a Level 3 qualification such as the National Extended Diploma in Engineering.
Additional help and support is available should you require this and you can discuss this further at your admissions interview with an Engineering tutor. Additionally, you will need an overall and a pair of safety shoes/boots for mechanical machine workshop practical sessions.
For further information, advice and guidance call The Learner Experience Team on 01625 410062.
Duration and Times
Start date: 01/09/2022
End date: 23/06/2023
Time: 9:00am - 4:30pm
Days of week: TBA
Number of Weeks: 35