This course provides an excellent and varied programme giving you access to Higher Education or a wide variety of Sport careers. You will develop skills, knowledge and understanding in Sports Science and apply your learning in a practical and realistic way in relation to physiological adaptations to the body
4 GCSEs ar grade A*-C including English or Maths at grade 4-9 or prior achievement at level 2. Subject to awarding body conditions.
A GCSE PE/Sports Studies qualification would also be advantageous and you will need to be able to demonstrate a reasonable degree of fitness
On receipt of your application to study this course you will be invited to attend an admissions interview with a member of the teaching team to discuss the course and its requirements further.
During this course you will study a total of eighteen units. Six mandatory units will provide a general foundation and twelve specialist units will introduce you to particular topics in more depth.
• Functional Anatomy (External)
• Sport and Exercise Physiology (External)
• Applied Sport and Exercise Psychology (External)
• Applied Research Methods in Sport and Exercise Sciences (Internal)
• Field and Laboratory-based Fitness Testing (Internal)
• Coaching for Performance and Fitness (Internal)
• Nutrition for Sport and Exercise Performance (External)
•Biomechanics in Sport and Exercise Science (Internal)
•Specialised Fitness Training (Internal)
•Sports Massage (Internal)
•Research Project in Sport and Exercise Science (Internal)
•Sports Injury and Assessment (Internal)
•Technology in Sport and Exercise Science (Internal)
You will also have the opportunity to undertake additional coaching qualifications and Emergency First Aid qualifications.
Alongside your main programme of study you will also study GCSE English and maths if you have not achieved a GCSE grade 4 or above. If you have achieved a grade 4 or above in GCSE English and maths, you will engage in extending these skills through a Directed Study Programme.
Four units of the Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma in Sport and Exercise Science are externally assessed by means of examinations and set tasks, six units assessed through project, experiments and assignment work. There are no external examinations. Each unit is graded Pass, Merit or Distinction and then an overall grade of Pass, Merit, Distinction or
Distinction* is awarded on completion.
GCSE qualifications are assessed through external examination and coursework.
On successful achievement of this course you may wish to:
• Apply to study a Higher Education course such as the BTEC Level 5 HND in Sport (Coaching and Sport Development) or a Sport related subject such as Gym Instruction, Leisure Management, Sports Coaching and Development or Teacher Training
• Seek employment within Sport/Leisure/Outdoor Activity Centres or Private Gyms
For further information, advice and guidance call The Learner Experience Team on 01625 410002.
Duration and Times
Start date: 02/09/2019
End date: 26/06/2020
Time: 9:00am - 4:30pm
Days of week: TBA
Number of Weeks: 34