This course provides an excellent and varied programme giving you access to Higher Education or to a wide variety of Business careers. You will develop skills, knowledge and understanding in business and apply your learning in a practical and realistic way.
For this course you will need to have achieved one of the following:
• 4 GCSE’s Grade A*-C, ideally to include English Language and Maths
• A Level 2 qualification (e.g. BTEC Level 2 Diploma) in a Business related subject at Merit grade or above with Functional
Skills English and Mathematics at Level 2 or above
On receipt of your application to study this course you will be invited to attend an admissions interview with a member of the teaching team to discuss the course and its requirements further.
During this course you will study a total of eighteen units. Four core units will provide a general foundation and fourteen specialist units will introduce you to particular topics in more depth.
• The business environment
• Business resources
• Introduction to marketing
• Business communication
Specialist units will include:
• Creative product promotion
• Internet marketing
• Recruitment and selection
• Managing a business event
• Developing teams in business
• Starting a small business
• Business accounting
Alongside your main programme of study you will also study either GCSE or Functional Skills in English and Maths if you have not achieved a GCSE grade C or above. If you have achieved a grade C or above in GCSE English and Maths, you will engage in extending these skills through a Directed Study Programme.
– Business accounting
Alongside your main programme of study you will also study either GCSE English and maths if you have not achieved a GCSE grade 4 or above. If you have achieved a grade 4 or above in GCSE English and Maths, you will engage in extending these skills through a Directed Study Programme.
The BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma units are assessed through project and assignment work. There are no external examinations. Each unit is graded Pass, Merit or Distinction and then an overall grade of Pass, Merit, Distinction or Distinction* is awarded on completion.
GCSE and Functional Skills qualifications are assessed through external examination and portfolio work.
On successful achievement of this course you may wish to;
• Apply to study a Higher Education course such as a HNC/D or a Degree in Business or a Business related subject
• Pursue career opportunities in Business specialisms such as Management, Marketing, Human Resources and
• Progress within employment to professional qualifications such as those offered by the Chartered Institutes of
Marketing, Management, Accountants and Personnel & Development
Additional help and support is available to you should you require this and this can discussed further at your admissions interview.
You will have the opportunity to take part in educational and industrial visits during your course programme. Possible visits may include Co-operative Bank, Petty Pool, Alton Towers and Trafford Centre, A financial contribution of £150 per year towards the costs of visits and activities is to be paid during the first term.
For further information, advice and guidance call The Learner Experience Team on 01625 410002.
Duration and Times
Start date: 02/09/2020
End date: 02/07/2021
Time: 9:00am - 4:30pm
Days of week: TBA
Number of Weeks: 33