This qualification is intended for post-16 learners wanting to progress directly to employment in the esports industry and other related industries. Additionally, the breadth of optional content in this qualification allows learners to widen their opportunities to progress to a number of different higher education courses.
For this course you will need to have achieved one of the following:
• A minimum of 5 GCSEs Grade 4, ideally to include English Language and Mathematics
• A Level 2 qualification (e.g. BTEC Level 2 Certificate) at Merit grade or above with Functional Skills English and Mathematics at Level 2 or above
On receipt of your application to study this course you will be invited to attend an admissions interview with a member of the teaching team to discuss the course and its requirements further.
For this course you will study a total of fifteen units. Five mandatory units will provide a general foundation to Esports and ten specialist units which will introduce you to particular topics in more depth.
All learners will be required to complete the mandatory units, you will then be able to develop and enhance your knowledge and understanding further through the remaining ten units.
• Introduction to Esports
• Esports Skills, Strategies and Analysis
• Enterprise and Entrepreneurship in the Esports Industry
• Health, Wellbeing and Fitness for Esports Players
• Esports Events
Specialist units may include:
• Nutrition for Esports Performance
• Psychology for Esports Performance
• Esports Coaching
• Games Design
• Ethical and Current Issues in Esports
Alongside your main programme of study you will also study either GCSE or Functional Skills in English and Maths if you have not achieved a GCSE grade 4 or above.
The BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma in Esports units are assessed through project work and assignment work. Each unit is graded Pass, Merit or Distinction and then an overall grade of Pass, Merit, Distinction or Distinction* is awarded on completion.
GCSE and Functional Skills qualifications are assessed through external examination and portfolio work.
On successful achievement of this course you may wish to:
• Apply to study at Higher Education to undertake a Higher National or Degree in Esports/ Games Development or an IT related subject
• Pursue career opportunities in Esports industry and other related industries as the BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma is valued by employers
• Apply to study a Higher Apprenticeship
Additional help and support is available should you require it and you can discuss this further at your admissions interview.
You will have the opportunity to undertake work experience and to take part in educational and industrial visits during your course. Possible visits may include MOSI, Old Trafford Football Ground, The Bradford Media Museum, local businesses, university and UCAS events, most of which will incur an additional cost which will be discussed at interview.
For further information, advice and guidance call The Learner Experience Team on 01625 410062.
Duration and Times
Start date: 01/09/2021
End date: 24/06/2022
Time: 12:00am - 12:00am
Days of week: TBA
Number of Weeks: 35