Pearson BTEC Higher National qualifications are designed to develop practical skills alongside specialist knowledge and understanding of the subject area. These qualifications have been well respected and recognised by employers and higher education institutions. The Higher National Certificate (HNC) is a Level 4 qualification which is equivalent to the first year of the Bachelor Degree. A HNC qualification can be studied by those in employment for professional development to enhance their career prospects or level 3, A-level and Access to Higher Education students can use this as an alternative path to gain higher education locally at lower cost.
Pearson BTEC Higher National in Business provides opportunities for learners to apply their knowledge and skills in the workplace. Students will have the opportunity to do this through any employment experience they may hold. This course is also available to mature learners who may wish to enter a specialist area of employment within business. This course aims to develop a sound understanding of the major theoretical and practical principles associated with working in business. A significant focus is placed on the skills required for effective communication, self-development and career progression. If you are looking to pursue a career in business or you are currently employed in a business environment, and wish to combine work with a study to develop your skills and knowledge to enhance your career prospects, then this course may be for you. It will draw on a range of industry links and local employers to provide you with extensive business experience.
For students who have recently been in education, the entry profile is likely to include one of the following:
• A Pearson BTEC Level 3 National /Extended Diploma in a related subject with a Merit grade profile
• A minimum of two A Levels at grade C or above with one in relevant subject
• T-Level qualification in a related subject with a Pass grade
• Access to Higher Education Diploma with relevant subject options awarded by an approved further education institution with a Merit grade profile
• Other related Level 3 qualifications
• Extensive relevant work experience – mature learners who have extensive work experience and/or professional qualifications in a related industry are welcome to apply.
• A* to C or 9 to 4 grades in GCSE Maths and English (or equivalent)
On receipt of your application to study this course you will be invited to attend an admissions interview with a member of the teaching team to discuss the course and its requirements further. Please note that meeting the entry requirements does not guarantee an offer will be made. Offers are made based on the interviewer’s professional judgement.
You will study a total of eight units throughout the course for the HNC in Business. The six mandatory units will provide a general foundation and two optional units will introduce you to particular business concepts and theories in more depth.
HNC Mandatory Units:
• Unit 1 – Business and the Business Environment
• Unit 2 – Marketing Processes and Planning
• Unit 3 – Human Resource Management
• Unit 4 – Leadership and Management
• Unit 5 – Accounting Principles
• Unit 6 – Managing a Successful Business Project (Pearson-set)
In addition to the mandatory, you will study two of the following optional units, which will be selected to meet the local employers need:
• Unit 7 – Business Law
• Unit 8 – Innovation and Commercialisation
• Unit 9 – Entrepreneurial Ventures
• Unit 10 – Recording Financial Transactions
• Unit 14 – Digital Business in Practice
• Unit 15 – Operations Management
Note: Optional units may change to meet local employment need.
Unit Specification: Business (2021) | BTEC Higher Nationals | Pearson qualifications
HNC units are assessed internally. You will be graded for each individual unit with a Pass, Merit or Distinction. You may be assessed in a number of different ways, such as presentations, written reports, log books and practical tasks.
On successful completion of this course you can continue with employment or use the HNC as an entry to apply for other Higher Education qualifications e.g. HND or Bachelor Degree. You can apply to university to complete a degree in a related subject; entry to the degree may be at Year 2 dependent upon the university and degree programme. This qualification can also be used to support a job application within a related profession.
During your interview you will be advised for the course fee, any additional course requirements and costs. The information on the college policies and procedures, Terms and Conditions and the Student Protection Plan (SPP) are available on the college website
Also, a copy of these terms and conditions and the Student Protection Plan will be given to you to read before enrolling on the course.
For further information, advice and guidance call The Learner Experience Team on 01625 410062.
Duration and Times
Start date: 19/09/2022
End date: 23/06/2023
Time: 12:00am - 12:00am
Days of week: TBA
Number of Weeks: 33
Weekly hours: 10.00