The Level 2 Certificate in Supporting Teaching and Learning has been designed to provide learners with an understanding of the knowledge and skills needed when working directly with children and young people in school or college environments. It covers a wide range of areas including children and young people’s development, supporting children and young people’s positive behaviour and communication and professional relationships.
Learners will take part in learning about children and education from 5 years and above. This provides the learner with knowledge of working with different individuals in different settings, such as adults who have SEND within a college environment.
The structure is simple with mandatory units only to support all-round knowledge and skills for future employment in different learning environments and includes current agendas such as radicalisation, mental health and e-safety.
It is aimed at learners working in roles that support pupils’ learning in primary, secondary or special schools, as well as colleges. Learners will need to be working or on a practical placement for the duration of the course in a learning environment (school or college) as they need to show competence in both skills and knowledge.
This qualification covers the following units:-
• Understand schools and colleges as organisations Understand children and young people’s development Safeguarding children and young people
• Equality, diversity and inclusion in a learning environment for children and young people
• Maintain relationships with children and young people Support the health and safety of children and young people
• Support positive behaviour in a learning environment for children and young people
• Contribute to teamwork in a learning environment Understand children and young people’s play and leisure Promote an effective learning environment
• Provide displays in a learning environment
The learner will be qualified at level 2 and this may lead to employment in Primary, Secondary and Specialist areas in Supporting Teaching and Learning. Learners can progress onto the Level 3 Diploma in Supporting Teaching and Learning, or into the workforce.
Learners need to find their own voluntary or paid placement in an educational setting for a minimum of 6 hours each week or a total of 100 hours. This can be a Primary school; a secondary school; an academy; a special school or a college in Year One or above. Learners will need to arrange a DBS with the school where possible although the college are also able to do this for a fee.
Prior to starting the course, the learner needs to have successful completion of (BKSB) Maths and English initial assessments (above Entry 3).
For further information, advice and guidance call The Learner Experience Team on 01625 410002.
Duration and Times
Start date: 05/01/2021
End date: 14/12/2021
Time: 6:00pm - 9:00pm
Days of week: Tu
Number of Weeks: 33