This course will introduce you to carpentry and joinery skills and will allow you to learn, develop and practice these skills required for employment and/or career progression in carpentry and joinery.
For this course you will need to have achieved 2 GCSEs grade G (1-3) or above (equivalent qualifications or experience could be considered on an individual basis).
On receipt of your application to study this course you will be invited to attend an admissions interview with a member of the teaching team to discuss the course and its requirements further.
During this course you will cover the following units:
• Safe working practices in construction
• Information, quantities and communicating with others
• Building methods and construction technology
• Produce basic woodworking joints
• Maintain and use carpentry and joinery hand tools
• Prepare and use carpentry and joinery portable power tools
Alongside your main programme of study you will also study either GCSE or Functional Skills in English and Maths if you have not achieved a GCSE grade C or above. If you have achieved a grade C or 4 or above in GCSE English and Maths, you will engage in extending these skills through a Directed Study Programme.
You will be assessed through a combination of practical evidence, course work and online tests.
GCSE and Functional Skills qualifications are assessed through external examination and portfolio work.
On successful achievement of this course you may wish to:
· Apply to study the Level 2 Diploma in Carpentry and Joinery
· Apply for an Apprenticeship in the construction industry.
Additional help and support is available should you require it and you can discuss this further at your admissions interview.
For further information, advice and guidance call The Learner Experience Team on 01625 410002.
Duration and Times
Start date: 02/09/2020
End date: 24/06/2021
Time: 9:00am - 4:30pm
Days of week: TBA
Number of Weeks: 36