This qualification covers the technical needs for today’s motor vehicle repair industry, including diagnosis of straightforward system faults. The perfect progression route into the industry which provides essential knowledge for service technicians working on light vehicles in all types of garages and dealerships. Practical sessions will take place at the Macclesfield College Motor Vehicle Centre which is a specialist facility commissioned to provide a modern and industry
standard training environment.
For this course you will need to have achieved one of the following:
· A minimum of 2 GCSEs grade E-G (1-3)
· Applications from students without the traditional entry requirements but with relevant experience will also be considered on an individual basis
On receipt of your application to study this course you will be invited to attend an admissions interview with a member of the teaching team to discuss the course and its requirements further.
During this course you will focus on a full range of units including but not limited to engine
technology, chassis technology and routine maintenance. You will study the following units
in a practical fashion with theory to support your learning:
· Health and safety practices in vehicle maintenance
· Tools, equipment and materials for vehicle maintenance
· Spark ignition engines, components and operation
· Compression ignition engine systems, components and operation
· Engine liquid cooling and lubrication systems components and operation
· Steering and suspension system components and maintenance
· Vehicle braking system components and maintenance
· Vehicle wheels and tyre construction
· Vehicle exhaust systems components and maintenance
· Vehicle driveline maintenance
· Vehicle electrical foundation skills
You will cover the following elements:
· Brake master cylinder
· Front brake disc
· McPherson Strut
· Cylinder head removal
· Compression testing
· Wheel and tyre balancing
· 2 Year/20,000 mile service
Alongside your main programme of study you will also study either GCSE or Functional Skills in English and Maths if you have not achieved a GCSE grade C or above. If you have achieved a grade C or above in GCSE English and Maths, you will engage in extending these skills through a Directed Study Programme.
You will be practically assessed on each unit of the course to ensure your competency. An online test on each unit will be taken at the end of the course.
GCSE and Functional Skills qualifications are assessed through external examination and portfolio work.
On successful completion of this course you may wish to:
· Apply to study the Level 2 Motor Vehicle Repair and Maintenance
· Gain employment as a Light Vehicle Maintenance Technician
· Gain employment as a Light vehicle Diagnostic Technician
· Gain employment as a Race Technician
Additional help and support is available should you require it and you can discuss this further at your admissions interview.
For further information, advice and guidance call The Learner Experience Team on 01625 410062.
Duration and Times
Start date: 01/09/2021
End date: 24/06/2022
Time: 9:00am - 4:30pm
Days of week: TBA
Number of Weeks: 35