This advanced technical qualification covers the technical needs for today’s motor vehicle repair industry, including diagnosis of complex automotive system faults. It builds on the intermediate knowledge of Level 2 and prepares you for employment in the Motor Vehicle Repair Industry.
Practical sessions will take place at the Macclesfield College Motor Vehicle Centre which is a specialist facility commissioned to provide a modern and industry training environment. This qualification supports entry into employment within the retail motor industry and also possible apprenticeships in light vehicle maintenance and repair (as a recognised knowledge qualification within the IMI Maintenance and Repair Framework).
This qualification also provides a high level of underpinning knowledge and skills which may allow progression onto some Higher Education qualifications in Automotive and Engineering related subjects. This qualification also provides a pre-requisite status that enables entry into Associate Membership of the Institute of the Motor Industry Professional Body (AMIMI). It is supported and recognised as industry standard for;
• BMW UK Ltd
• The Honda Institute- Honda Motors Europe
• SMMT Ltd – the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders
• Vauxhall Motors Ltd
• Volvo Car UK
You will need to achieve;
• The IMI Level 2 Diploma in Vehicle Maintenance and Repair
• Specific entry requirements that would support an application for this course will be discussed at admissions interview
• Applications from students without the traditional entry requirements but with relevant experience will also be considered
Following your application to study this course you will be invited to attend an admissions interview with a member of the teaching team to discuss the course and its requirements further.
You will focus on a wide range of units delivered in a practical fashion with theory to support your learning. The Level 3 programme is broken down into four technical sections to include the four main vehicle areas as designated by the National Occupational Standards developed by IMI;
• Advanced Chassis Technology
• Advanced Engine Technology
• Advanced Transmission Technology
• Advanced Electrical and Electronic Technology
Alongside your main programme of study you will also study either GCSE or Functional Skills in English and Maths if you have not achieved a GCSE grade A*-C (9-4). If you have achieved a grade C or 4 or above in English and Maths then you will engage in extending these skills through a project based activity.
You will be practically assessed on each component of the course to ensure your
competency. An online test on each unit will be taken at the end of the course.
On successful completion of this course, students could go on to:
• Gain employment as a Light Vehicle Maintenance Technician
• Gain employment as a Light Vehicle Diagnostic Technician
• Gain employment as a Race Technician
• Study at a Higher Level Training within the Automotive or Engineering Sector
Additional help and support is available should you require it and you can discuss this further at your admissions interview.
For further information, advice and guidance call The Learner Experience Team on 01625 410002.
Duration and Times
Start date: 02/09/2020
End date: 26/06/2021
Time: 9:00am - 4:30pm
Days of week: TBA
Number of Weeks: 34