This course provides an excellent and varied programme giving you access to Higher Education or a wide variety of careers in Sport. You will develop skills, knowledge and understanding in Sport and apply your learning in a practical and realistic way.
Football participation will include both football sessions and physical gym training, taking place throughout the duration of the course. There will be daily football training by Macclesfield FC coaches and competitive matches will typically take place in:
EFL – CEFA League, FA Youth Cup, British Colleges League, Cheshire Senior Cup (senior), Central Reserve League (senior).
It’s the goal of the football academy staff to provide opportunities for elite players to participate in training with the Macclesfield FC senior squad on a regular basis.
You will need to have achieved one of the following:
• A minimum of 5 GCSE’s Grade 4 and above, ideally to include English Language
• A Level 2 qualification (e.g. BTEC Level 2 Diploma)
A GCSE PE/Sports Studies qualification would also be advantageous and you will need to be able to demonstrate of a reasonable degree of fitness.
On receipt of your application to study this course you will be invited to attend an admissions interview and football assessment to discuss the course and its requirements further.
During this course you will study a total of nineteen units. Eight core units will provide a general foundation and eleven specialist units will introduce you to particular topics in more depth.
• Careers in the Sport and Active Leisure Industry
• Wellbeing and Sport
• Developing Coaching Skills
• Applied Coaching Skills
• Research Project in Sport
• Sport Development
• Self-employment in Sport and Physical Activity
• Sports Psychology
• Nutrition for Physical Performance
• Anatomy and Physiology in Sport
• Sporting Injuries
• Functional Sports Massage
• Fitness Testing
• Fitness Training
Alongside your main programme of study, you will also study either GCSE or Functional Skills in English and Maths if you have not achieved a GCSE grade 4 or above. If you have achieved a grade 4 or above in GCSE English and Maths, you will engage in extending these skills through a Directed Study Programme.
All BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma units are assessed through project and assignment work. There are no external examinations. Each unit is graded Pass, Merit or Distinction and then an overall grade of Pass, Merit, Distinction or Distinction* is awarded on completion.
GCSE and functional Skills qualifications are assessed through external examination and portfolio work.
On successful achievement of this course you may wish to;
• Apply to study at Higher Education such as a BTEC Level 5 HND in Sport (Coaching and Sports Development) or a Sport related subject such as Gym Instruction, Leisure Management, Sports Coaching and Development or Teacher Training.
• University Courses (i.e. Sports Business/Coaching/Media).
• Pursue career opportunities within Sport &Leisure/Football Coaching & Fitness/ Private Gyms/Sports Business etc.
• Opportunities abroad. USA/Australia: Coaching/Playing/Studying.
• Football Apprenticeship Programme (More info TBC)
Possible visits may include Sport City, kayaking, rock climbing, football stadium tours, Universities and UCAS events, but could be subject to change.
Macclesfield FC will provide some base level training kit for free for students to use. Extra kit can be purchased via the Football Club supplier.
All players will be expected (where possible) to wear Football Club leisure wear and training kit whilst participating on the football academy course.
Football participation will be varied with both football and physical gym training taking place throughout the duration of the course.
Matches will typically take place in the:
EFL – CEFA League, FA Youth Cup, British Colleges League, Cheshire Senior Cup (senior), Central Reserve League (senior), and potentially EFL League Two (senior).
It’s the goal of the football academy staff to provide opportunities for elite players to participate in training with the MTFC senior team squad and be back to college in time for education classes.
For further information please contact Paul McGuire at email@example.com.
For further information, advice and guidance call The Learner Experience Team on 01625 410062.