This is a practical work-related course on which you will learn by completing projects and assignments that are based on realistic workplace situations, activities and demands. This course will introduce you to your chosen career and provides a good basis to progress onto a more advanced qualification.
For this course you will need to have achieved one of the following:
* A minimum of 4 GCSEs Grade D or above, ideally to include English Language
* A Level 1 qualification (e.g. BTEC Level 1 Diploma) with Functional Skills English at Level 1 or above
A reasonable degree of fitness would also be advantageous.
You will need to have undertaken at least one week of work experience in a related discipline setting. Evidence of this experience must be provided at enrolment in the form of a reference from the setting you attended.
Following your application to study this course you will be invited to attend an admissions interview with a member of the teaching team to discuss the course and its requirements further.
During this course you will study the following nine units. Four core units will provide a general foundation and five specialist units will introduce you to particular topics in more depth.
* Investigate employment in the uniformed services
* Physical fitness for the uniformed services
* Develop team working and problem-solving skills
* Health and safety in the uniformed services
Specialist Units may include:
* Carry out map reading and navigation
* Undertake adventurous activities
* Participate in competitive sports
* Explore the use of telecommunications in the uniformed services
* Explore volunteering and volunteering opportunities
Alongside your main programme of study you will also study either GCSE or Functional Skills in English and Maths if you have not achieved a GCSE grade C or above. If you have achieved a grade C or above in GCSE English and Maths, you will engage in extending these skills through a Directed Study Programme.
You will be assessed through assignment work and external examinations. Each unit is graded Pass, Merit or Distinction and then an overall grade of Pass, Merit, Distinction or Distinction* is awarded on completion.
GCSE and Functional Skills qualifications are assessed through external examinations.
On successful achievement of this course you may wish to:
* Apply to progress onto the NCFE Level 3 Extended Diploma for entry to the uniformed Services, ideally you will be expected to achieve a minimum of a Merit grade at L2
* Pursue a career in Public Services such as the Armed Services, Police, Fire Service, Ambulance Service, Private Security, Prison Service, Coastguard, Customs and Excise or Local Government Administration as this qualification is valued by employers.
Additional help and support is available should you require it and you can discuss this further at your admissions interview.
There is a requirement for all public service students to purchase at least one polo shirt and there is the option to purchase a hoodie. This will be discussed at interview.
You will have the opportunity to take part in educational and industrial visits during your course. A financial contribution of £150.00 per year towards the cost of the visits and activities is to be paid throughout the academic year as trips as arranged. Possible visits may include The Middlewich Custody Suite, The Fire Station, Army Look at life, Army Personal Development Course, Crown Court, Kip on a Ship, The Houses of Parliament, University and UCAS events, but could be subject to change.
For further information, advice and guidance call The Learner Experience Team on 01625 410062.
Duration and Times
Start date: 01/09/2021
End date: 23/06/2022
Time: 9:00am - 4:00pm
Days of week: TBA
Number of Weeks: 36