Are you a caring person who is interested in supporting children’s learning and development?
If so, this two year Level 3 Diploma course will enable learners to gain the knowledge and experience to work effectively with young children in a day nursery, pre-school or primary school. This course also enables learners to develop the necessary skills and acquire UCAS tariff points to progress onto Higher Education in a related field. The qualification is a full time, two year course where learners spend 3 days in college studying a diverse range of units, and 2 days in a range of childcare placements in order to develop a range of practical skills.
For this course you will need to have a good level of written and spoken
English and have achieved a minimum of 4 GCSE’s at Grade 4 and above.
These must include GCSE English Language and ideally GCSE maths,
although you will have the opportunity to study GCSE maths alongside your
You will also be required to apply for a Criminal Records Bureau check (DBS) before the start of the programme. The cost to the student will be approximately £54.00. You will also need to attend an interview for this course to assess your suitability.
During this course you will cover a total of 24 mandatory units which will equip you with the knowledge, understanding and skills across a range of key subject areas, for example:
– The stages and sequences of child development
– Safeguarding children and child protection
– The role of play in relation to children’s learning and development
– Child observation and assessment
– Developing children’s emergent literacy and numeracy skills
– Working in partnership to meet children’s additional needs
The course is continually assessed throughout the two years and students will produce a portfolio of assignments. There will be two written external assessments. Each unit has a written assignment and your placement supervisor will observe you carrying out practical skills whilst working with the children. Assessors from college will also assess you in the workplace
On successful achievement of this course you can progress into various rewarding childcare job roles in the statutory, voluntary or private sectors such as:
– Childcare Practitioner in day nurseries or pre-school
– Childcare Practitioner in a nursery school or reception class in a primary school
– Becoming a Nanny
– Working on a cruise ship as a child care worker
– Working abroad as a child care rep for a travel company
Additional help and support is available to you should you require it and you can discuss this further at your admissions interview.
For further information, advice and guidance call The Learner Experience Team on 01625 410002.