This is a practical work-related course on which you will learn by completing projects and assignments that are based on realistic workplace situations, activities and demands. This course will introduce you to your chosen career and provides a good basis to progress onto a more advanced qualification.
For this course you will need to have achieved one of the following:
* A minimum of 5 GCSEs Grade 3 or above, ideally to include English Language
* A Level 1 qualification (e.g. BTEC Level 1 Diploma) with Functional Skills English at Level 1 or above
A reasonable degree of fitness would also be advantageous.
You will need to have undertaken at least one week of work experience in a related discipline setting. Evidence of this experience must be provided at enrolment in the form of a reference from the setting you attended.
Following your application to study this course you will be invited to attend an admissions interview with a member of the teaching team to discuss the course and its requirements further.
During this course you will study a total of 14 units, 8 core units will provide a general foundation and 6 specialist units will introduce you to particular topics in more depth.
• Careers in the Sport and Active Leisure Industry
• Wellbeing and Sport
• Developing Coaching Skills
• Applied Coaching Skills
• Research Project in Sport
• Sport Development
• Self-employment in Sport and Physical Activity
• Sports Psychology
• Nutrition for Physical Performance
• Anatomy and Physiology in Sport
• Sporting Injuries
• Functional Sports Massage
• Fitness Testing
• Fitness Training
Alongside your main programme of study, you will also study either GCSE or Functional Skills in English and Maths if you have not achieved a GCSE grade 4 or above. If you have achieved a grade 4 or above in GCSE English and Maths, you will engage in extending these skills through a Directed Study Programme.
All BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma units are assessed through project and assignment work. There are no external examinations. Each unit is graded Pass, Merit or Distinction and then an overall grade of Pass, Merit, Distinction or Distinction* is awarded on completion.
GCSE and functional Skills qualifications are assessed through external examination and portfolio work.
• This is a full-time programme for two academic years
• The course will be built up of Daily football training and education classes.
• Typically the course will run 4 days per week.
• Football matches will generally take place on Wednesday afternoons.
On successful achievement of this course you may wish to;
• Apply to study at Higher Education such as a BTEC Level 5 HND in Sport (Coaching and Sports Development) or a Sport related subject such as Gym Instruction, Leisure Management, Sports Coaching and Development or Teacher Training.
• University Courses (i.e. Sports Business/Coaching/Media).
• Pursue career opportunities within Sport &Leisure/Football Coaching & Fitness/ Private Gyms/Sports Business etc.
• Opportunities abroad. USA/Australia: Coaching/Playing/Studying.
• Football Apprenticeship Programme (More info TBC)
Possible visits may include Sport City, kayaking, rock climbing, football stadium tours, Universities and UCAS events, but could be subject to change.
Alongside your main programme of study you will also study either GCSE or Functional Skills in English and Maths if you have not achieved a GCSE grade 4 or above. If you have achieved a grade 4 or above in GCSE English and Maths, you will engage in extending these skills through a Directed Study Programme.
You will be assessed through assignment work and external examinations. Each unit is graded Pass, Merit or Distinction and then an overall grade of Pass, Merit, Distinction or Distinction* is awarded on completion.
GCSE and Functional Skills qualifications are assessed through external examinations.
On successful achievement of this course you may wish to:
* Apply to progress onto the National Extended Diploma in Sport Development and Coaching.
* Pursue a career in the Sport Industry based on the skill set developed on the programme.
Additional help and support is available should you require it and you can discuss this further at your admissions interview.
There is a requirement for all Sport students to purchase at least one polo shirt and there is the option to purchase a hoodie. This will be discussed at interview.
You will have the opportunity to take part in educational and industrial visits during your course. Things like influential guest speakers will be introduced on the programme that bring a vast amount of industry experience, you will have the opportunity to visit Higher Education institutes to look at further options after the programme as well as gain valuable experience through work placement opportunities.
For further information, advice and guidance call The Learner Experience Team on 01625 410062.
Duration and Times
Start date: 05/09/2022
End date: 23/06/2023
Time: 9:00am - 4:30pm
Days of week: TBA
Number of Weeks: 35
Weekly hours: 13.00