The Level 2 Diploma in Art and Design will provide young people with an introduction to art and design, enabling the learner to both re-engage with education and acquire the requisite knowledge, skills and understanding to progress to further education or employment within the creative industries.
For this course you will need to have achieved:
4 GCSEs at Grade 3 or above
On receipt of your application to study this course you will be invited to attend an admissions interview with a member of the teaching team to discuss the course and its requirements further. You will be required to present a portfolio of your work at this interview.
The UAL Awarding Body Level 2 Award in Art & Design is designed to provide an opportunity for those with an interest in art, design and media to explore materials, methods and processes that support many art and design activities, and to begin to develop related skills in drawing, painting, textiles, graphics and photography. All students complete all subject areas in the first two terms culminating in a final major project in a chosen specialism.
The qualifications will provide learners with:
1. An introductory experience to some of the materials, methods, processes and technical skills that support art and design activity.
2. An introductory understanding of the context in which art and design activity is located.
3. An opportunity to test their interest in art and design activity.
4. Development of an awareness of the value of research to support art and design activity.
5. An introduction to drawing skills necessary to support creative activity in art and design.
6. An understanding of the role of communication skills in the development of ideas.
7. An opportunity to use the knowledge, understanding and skills developed in previous units to identify, research and produce a personal art and design project
Pass, Merit or Distinction. The structure of the Diploma, with units linked to provide coherence, will allow learners to develop practical skills and theoretical understanding through a process of reiteration and reinforcement and to develop an effective working practice that will provide support for creativity across a range of stimulating and demanding art and design activities including Drawing, Painting, Sculpture, Print Making, Graphic Design, Textiles, Animation and Photography. Students will also undertake art history and contextual studies.
Level 3 Applied Diploma in Art & Design
Additional help and support is available to you should you require it and you can discuss this further at your admissions interview.
Alongside your main programme of study you will also study GCSE or Functional Skills in English and Maths if you have not achieved a GCSE grade 9-4. If you have achieved a grade 4 or above in English and Maths then you will engage in extending these skills through a project based activity.
For further information, advice and guidance call The Learner Experience Team on 01625 410062.
Duration and Times
Start date: 01/09/2022
End date: 23/06/2023
Time: 9:00am - 4:30pm
Days of week: TBA
Number of Weeks: 35