This course will provide you with an introduction to music performance, production technology and theory, which will enable you acquire the requisite skills, knowledge and understanding to progress on to further education or employment within the music and sound industries. It will combine the fields of music performance and technology and is suitable for individuals with interests in all areas of music.
The UAL Level 2 Diploma Music Performance and Production is a practical work-related course. You will learn by completing projects and assignments that are based on realistic workplace situations, activities and demands. It will provide a good basis in order to progress onto a more advanced qualification in music and music technology, and will also introduce you to a range of different careers.
For this course you will need to have achieved one of the following:
• A minimum of 4 GCSEs Grade 3 or above, ideally including English Language at grade 4 or above
• A Level 1 qualification (e.g. BTEC Level 1 Diploma) with Functional Skills English at Level 1 or above
On receipt of your application to study this course you will be invited to attend an admissions interview with a member of the teaching team to discuss the course and its requirements further.
During this course you will study the following nine units:
• Introduction to music performance
• Introduction to music production
• Listening skills for music performance and production
• Exploring music composition
• Contextual research for music performance and production
• Music Performance Skills and Practice
• Music Production Skills and Practice
• Music Performance and Production project
Alongside your main programme of study, you will also study either GCSE or Functional Skills in English and Maths if you have not achieved a GCSE grade 4 or above.
Units are assessed through a portfolio of evidence, practical demonstration and assignment work. There are no external examinations. An overall grade of Pass, Merit or Distinction will be awarded on your final major project in your chosen specialist area.
GCSE and Functional Skills qualifications are assessed through external examination and portfolio work.
On successful completion of this course you may wish to:
· Apply to progress onto the UAL Level 3 Diploma in Performing Arts/ UAL Level 3 Diploma in Music or UAL Level 3 Extended Diploma in Creative Media Production & Technology if you have achieved a Merit, or Distinction overall at the end of your Level 2 course.
· Enter a Performing Arts related career in music.
Additional help and support is available to you should you require it and you can discuss this further at your admissions interview.
You will have the opportunity to take part in educational and industrial visits during your course.
For further information, advice and guidance call The Learner Experience Team on 01625 410062.
Duration and Times
Start date: 01/09/2022
End date: 23/06/2023
Time: 9:00am - 4:30pm
Days of week: TBA
Number of Weeks: 35