This course will provide you with an introduction to performance, production and design for the Performing Arts which will enable you to re-engage with education and acquire the requisite skills, knowledge and understanding to progress on to further education and employment within the Performing Arts industries. It will combine the fields of music and drama and is suitable for individuals with interests in all areas of performing arts.
The UAL Level 2 Diploma in Performing and Production Arts is a practical work-related course. You will learn by completing projects and assignments that are based on realistic workplace situations, activities and demands. It will introduce you to your chosen career and provide a good basis to progress onto a more advanced qualification in music, drama or dance.
For this course you will need to have achieved one of the following:
• A minimum of 4 GCSEs Grade D/3 or above, ideally including English Language at a grade 4
• A Level 1 qualification (e.g. BTEC Level 1 Diploma) with Functional Skills English at Level 1 or above
On receipt of your application to study this course you will be invited to attend an admissions interview with a member of the teaching team to discuss the course and its requirements further.
During this course you will study the following nine units:
• Introduction to performance
• Introduction to production
• Communicating with an audience
• Staging a performance
• Contextual research for performance and production
• Performance skills and practice
• Production skills and practice
• Personal project and presentation
• Producing and performing to an audience
Alongside your main programme of study you will also study either GCSE or Functional Skills in English and Maths if you have not achieved a GCSE grade C/4 or above. If you have achieved a grade C/4 or above in GCSE English and Maths, you will engage in extending these skills through a Directed Study Programme.
Units are assessed through a portfolio of evidence, practical demonstration and assignment work. There are no external examinations. An overall grade of Pass, Merit or Distinction will be awarded on your final major project in your chosen specialist area.
GCSE and Functional Skills qualifications are assessed through external examination and portfolio work.
On successful achievement of this course you may wish to:
• Apply to progress onto the UAL Level 3 Extended Diploma in Performing Arts/ UAL Level 3 Extended Diploma in Music/UAL Level 3 Extended Diploma in Creative Media Production & Technology if you have achieved a Merit, or Distinction overall at the end of your Level 2 course
• Enter a Performing Arts related career such as music, acting, technical theatre or production
Additional help and support is available to you should you require it and you can discuss this further at your admissions interview.
You will have the opportunity to take part in educational and industrial visits during your course.
For further information, advice and guidance call The Learner Experience Team on 01625 410002.
Duration and Times
Start date: 02/09/2020
End date: 26/06/2021
Time: 9:00am - 4:30pm
Days of week: TBA
Number of Weeks: 34