This course combines both the practical elements of beauty therapy with the underlying theory. The majority of your learning will take place in the College’s own well-equipped salon which is a real working environment.
In addition, you will undertake work experience in an external commercial salon. This course will develop your communication and wider personal skills which are essential in this type of work.
This qualification focuses on a range of skills needed within the beauty industry and is the minimum qualification for anyone who would like to work as a Beauty Therapist.
For this course you will need to have achieved one of the following:
• 4 GCSEs at grade 3 or above including English at grade 4 or higher, or prior achievement at Level 1 Hair & Beauty Diploma.
On receipt of your application to study this course you will be invited to attend an admissions interview with a member of the teaching team to discuss the course and its requirements further.
During this course you will study the following units:
· Ensure your own actions reduce risks to health and safety
· Promote additional products or services to clients
· Develop and maintain your effectiveness at work
· Improve and maintain facial skin condition
· Provide eyelash and eyebrow treatments
· Remove hair using waxing techniques
· Provide manicure treatment
· Provide pedicure treatment
· Provide make-up treatment
· Fulfil salon reception duties
Alongside your main programme of study you will also study either GCSE or Functional Skill in English and Maths if you have not achieved a GCSE grade 4 or above. If you have achieved a grade 4 or above in GCSE English and Maths you will engage in extending these skills through a Directed Study Programme.
You will be assessed by a range of methods including practical observation, written assignments and external written exams.
GCSE and Functional Skills qualifications are assessed through external examination and portfolio work.
On successful achievement of this course you may wish to:
· Apply to study the NVQ Level 3 in Beauty Therapy
· Pursue a career within the Beauty industry
Additional help and support is available to you should you require it and you can discuss this further at your admissions interview.
You will need to purchase a uniform and a beauty kit for this course. You will be advised of these and their cost at your admissions interview.
For further information, advice and guidance call The Learner Experience Team on 01625 410002.
Duration and Times
Start date: 02/09/2020
End date: 24/06/2021
Time: 9:00am - 4:30pm
Days of week: TBA
Number of Weeks: 36