The Level 4 Therapeutic Diploma is a challenging, dynamic and demanding course that promotes enormous personal development. This course enables students to become a qualified counsellor and to practice counselling in various settings or within other occupational roles such as nursing, police, pastoral care and other helping professions.
The curriculum design, coverage and qualification provide learners with an opportunity to develop work-based skills within the BACP (British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy) ethical framework and develop an understanding of the impact of a diverse society on clients, counselling therapeutic models, self-awareness and research methodologies, all of which will be demonstrated through a 100-hour supervised placement.
• Level 3 counselling skills qualification or equivalent.
• Reference from Level 3 Tutor
• A previous Level 3 assignment in relation to person development to be shared with the tutors.
** STUDENT BACP MEMBERSHIP IS COMPULSARY
** DBS IS REQUIRED
*It is recommended that students undergo their own personal therapy during the course.
When combined with the ABC Level 3 Certificate in Counselling Skills, this ABC level 4 Therapeutic Diploma in Counselling course meets the basic training requirement for recognition as a qualified counsellor and also contains 100 supervised placement hours. Learners will complete this qualification with a comprehensive and full understanding of the following:
• Ethical frameworks, including the importance of setting, supervision and casework management in counselling
• The impact diverse culture and heritage can have on the client/counsellor relationship in a multicultural society
• One major person centred therapeutic model (with practical insights into other modalities such as psychodynamic, Cognitive Behavioural Therapy and Transactional Analysis).
• How to conduct a counselling session with a client in an ethical, effective and safe way
• How to increase self-awareness
• The purpose and importance of Research in counselling
• 2 Personal Development Workshops tailored to counselling self-awareness.
The units are assessed through a variety of methods which will include written assignments, counselling skills assessments and portfolio work. There is a 100-hour placement unit which is externally marked by the ABC awarding body.
Minimum 90% attendance is required for the course duration.
Progression onto year 2 will be dependent on a review at the end of year one.
Students are responsible for finding their own placement(s) as defined by ABC criteria.
Students will be responsible for making their own counselling supervisor arrangements. Supervisors must have a required knowledge of the person-centred approach and be members of the BACP. (British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy).
Fees Advanced Learning Loan: £2225.00
Learners who complete this qualification may progress to Postgraduate and Post Qualifying courses in counselling studies.
Many learners progress towards national accreditation status with professional lead bodies.
Additional help and support is available to you should you require it and you can discuss this further at your admissions interview.
Next course available: September 12th, 2023
Days of week: W
Number of Weeks: 35
If you’re not ready to book an initial assessment yet and would like to talk with us instead, please complete the details below and someone will be in touch to talk through your options:
If you haven’t found the right course for you, then tell us about the course that you are looking for.