This intermediate technical qualification covers the technical needs for today’s motor vehicle repair industry,including diagnosis of straightforward system faults. It builds on the under-pinning knowledge of Level 1 and prepares you to offer excellent skills for the workplace and the knowledge needed to progress to the Advanced Level 3 course. Practical sessions will take place at the Macclesfield College Motor Vehicle Centre which is a specialist facility commissioned to provide a modern and industry standard training environment.
For this course you need to have achieved one of the following:
· IMI Level 1 Diploma in Vehicle Maintenance and Repair
· Applications from students without the traditional entry requirements but with relevant experience will also be considered.
During this course you will focus on a full range of units including but not limited to intermediate
engine technology, chassis technology and routine maintenance. You will study the following
elements in a practical fashion with theory to support your learning:
· Engine strip and rebuild
· Suspension, steering and brake systems
· Intermediate auxiliary electrical work
· Comfort and convenience systems
· Medium range fault finding and diagnostic skills
Alongside your main programme of study you will also study either GCSE or Functional Skills in English and Maths if you have not achieved a GCSE grade 4 or above. If you have achieved a grade 4 or above in GCSE English and Maths, you will engage in extending these skills through a Directed Study Programme.
You will be practically assessed on each component of the course to ensure your competency.
An online test on each unit will be taken at the end of the course.
GCSE and Functional Skills qualifications are assessed through external examination and portfolio work.
Fees Advanced Learning Loan: £0.00
On successful achievement of this course you may wish to:
· Gain employment as a Light Vehicle Maintenance Technician
· Gain employment as a Light Vehicle Diagnostic Technician
· Gain employment as a Race Technician
· Apply to study at a Higher-Level Training
Additional help and support is available should you require it and you can discuss this further at your admissions interview.
Next course available: September 4th, 2023
Days of week: TBA
Number of Weeks: 35
If you haven’t found the right course for you, then tell us about the course that you are looking for.